Tuesday, April 5, 2016

STEMulating Young Minds

I cannot believe that I am at the final stretch of my project! I am excited, yet nervous at the same time, but I am remaining confident in my abilities and hopeful that everything will come together well. This is going to be a rollercoaster of a week!

So, the day in which I have finished coloring my drawing has finally arrived. I really love the final product and I think it is going to fit nicely as my cover for my magazine! I proudly present to you, Johnny Depp:




Hooray! He is finally complete and I am so happy with the results. I now have all of the pieces for my cover, and I just simply have to finish putting the puzzle together.

Not only have I completed my cover image, but I have also finished most of my write-up for my article that I will be using for my two-page spread. Because I am still waiting for two of my resources to get back to me with their responses to the questions I asked them, I am not able to finish writing just yet, however, I have included what I have written so far just to provide a general idea of how the article will sound. These were the questions I had asked them (so that when you read the article I created, you can get a better sense as to how the information will flow):

Colton (engineer who works at Modern Robotics)
1. Why did you want to pursue a career in robotics?
2. What do you do at Modern Robotics?
3. What is the mission of Modern Robotics?
4. Why should kids, or even people of all ages, participate in robotics?
5. How does the world benefit by the field of robotics?

Alyssa (student)
1. Why did you join robotics?
2. What opportunities do you think robotics and STEM education have provided you?
3. What have you done to encourage other to participate in STEM?

Recalling my post, EUREKA!!! I HAVE MY STORY!!, the main idea of my article: What is robotics, what are the benefits of STEM, and how can people increase awareness and encouragement to participate in STEM fields? I hope you enjoy my story for my two-page spread called, “STEMulating Young Minds”:

From the invention of the wheel to today's 3D printers, revolutions of thought and engineering drive the progress of our lives and of humanity as a whole. It seems that students with passions for STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) are able to become the innovative voice of their generation now more than ever.
In many high schools globally, students are able to obtain a STEM-oriented education and embark on projects that interest them and spark their enthusiasm for STEM fields through classes or extracurricular activities at their school. One example of an extracurricular activity offered by many high schools that stresses the importance of STEM is the robotics club. Clubs such as this provide early access to an environment with workplace-style teamwork and creative thinking helps prepare students for their future years before they enter the workforce. Furthermore, students are able to obtain real-world experience as they encounter prevalent challenges, such as managing funds and ensuring that all components of a project are completed, despite being in a classroom environment. Most importantly, the variety of skills that students can derive from this experience are not solely applicable in STEM fields, but can be applied in any job that a student may hold in the future.
Today, the robotics community is growing throughout the world, and more schools are integrating classes that incorporate this STEM field. As this process occurs, however, it is becoming more and more important to devise new methods of increasing outreach and inclusion in STEM activities. Students and adults alike are often intimidated by the complex or technical aspects inherent to such forms of education. Because of this, educators such as Angela Ashley, Robotics teacher at Cypress Bay High School in Weston, Florida, are making the most out of extracurricular activities such as robotics by encouraging students to actively contribute to their community and make STEM exciting and engaging. She explains, “STEM education needs to be fun and hands on. We need to not ‘teach’ STEM in a traditional manner.  Instead, we need to let students explore with their minds, and learn to create and build with their hands.  Most importantly, we need to encourage them to build what they can imagine.  Traditional classroom settings tend to stifle imagination and creativity - the exact opposite of what we should be teaching them.” Students at Cypress Bay have done exactly that. Each year, they participate in robotics competitions and apply their knowledge and understanding of programming and engineering to plan, design, and build a robot. This year’s challenge, entitled FIRST RES-Q, is modeled after rescue situations faced by mountain explorers all over the globe. The team’s robot can score points by “resetting” Rescue beacons, delivering Rescue Climbers to a shelter, parking in the Rescue beacon repair zone or floor goal, and parking on the “mountain.”
Not only do these students apply their knowledge and abilities towards competitions, but they also work towards expanding the impact of a STEM education. For example, at Cypress Bay High School, the department head of the special-needs program reached out to the robotics class and asked if they could construct inventions that assist special-needs students with daily tasks, ranging from putting papers into a paper shredder to watering a garden. As a result, the class is currently creating an apparatus for wheelchair-bound students to be able to bowl as well as a blender that can be safely used by students with poor dexterity. In order to fully derive use out of STEM fields and STEM-oriented education, it is essential that everyone is included and accounted for. As Ms. Ashley states, “With each passing year this world gets more and more high-tech. It affects everyone in every aspect of life. Young or old, we are surrounded by technology.” 

I hope you liked my article so far! Again, I cannot believe that my project is coming to an end so soon and I am excited to start working on my Creative Critical Reflection! I will most likely either do a video or a podcast (not really sure yet, but I am leaning more towards a video), and I plan on writing a few questions for myself as well as jotting down some points that I would cover within my answers.This is the final countdown! *Cue music*

No comments:

Post a Comment