Wednesday, April 6, 2016

T-1 More Day Until Completion


In my last post, I had shown what I wrote so far for my article for my two-page spread. Today, I am posting the final draft of my article! However, I may make changes to the content if when I put the text to the magazine I have more room to write or if I do not have enough room. Nevertheless, please enjoy my article, “STEMulating Young Minds”:

In the words of Benjamin Franklin, “Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” From the invention of the wheel to today's 3D printers, revolutions of thought and engineering drive the progress of our lives and of humanity as a whole. It seems that students with passions for STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) are able to become the innovative voice of their generation now more than ever.
In many high schools globally, students are able to obtain a STEM-oriented education and embark on projects that interest them and spark their enthusiasm for STEM fields through classes or extracurricular activities at their school. One example of an extracurricular activity offered by many high schools that stresses the importance of STEM is the robotics club. Clubs such as this provide early access to an environment with workplace-style teamwork and creative thinking helps prepare students for their future years before they enter the workforce. Furthermore, students are able to obtain real-world experience as they encounter prevalent challenges, such as managing funds and ensuring that all components of a project are completed, despite being in a classroom environment. Most importantly, the variety of skills that students can derive from this experience are not solely applicable in STEM fields, but can be applied in any job that a student may hold in the future. As Modern Robotics employee Colton Mehlhoff explains, robotics aids in “implementing a broad skillset and critical thinking. Programming and building robots takes a wide knowledge of manipulators, functions, gears, chain, electricity, programming concepts, functions, robustness and more. No robot builder needs to be an expert in all these areas, but all robot builders need to know about the strengths and weaknesses of areas like these and how to learn more about them. This means knowing where to start research after a problem is presented. Critical thinking is the concept of making decisions and conclusions based on fact. This can be learned through working with sensors. Robots must determine what to do (and not to do) based only on a few inputs. Getting results based on seemingly arbitrary numbers is only possible through critical thinking. The robot (and other computers) will only do what you tell it and nothing more.”
Today, the robotics community is growing throughout the world, and more schools are integrating classes that incorporate this STEM field. As this process occurs, however, it is becoming more and more important to devise new methods of increasing outreach and inclusion in STEM activities. Students and adults alike are often intimidated by the complex or technical aspects inherent to such forms of education. Because of this, educators such as Angela Ashley, Robotics teacher and Robotics club sponsor at Cypress Bay High School in Weston, Florida, are making the most out of extracurricular activities such as robotics by encouraging students to actively contribute to their community and make STEM exciting and engaging. Her student, Alyssa Marotta, states, “When I joined the robotics club, my involvement in the school reached a new level. Instead of only going to school, I began to actively participate [in both robotics and school] and I felt that I was contributing to what makes Cypress Bay the recognized school that it is.” Ms. Ashley explains, “STEM education needs to be fun and hands on. We need to not ‘teach’ STEM in a traditional manner.  Instead, we need to let students explore with their minds, and learn to create and build with their hands.  Most importantly, we need to encourage them to build what they can imagine.  Traditional classroom settings tend to stifle imagination and creativity - the exact opposite of what we should be teaching them.” Students at Cypress Bay have taken this message to heart. Each year, they participate in robotics competitions and apply their knowledge and understanding of programming and engineering to plan, design, and build a robot.  This year’s challenge, entitled FIRST RES-Q, is modeled after rescue situations faced by mountain explorers all over the globe. The team’s robot can score points by “resetting” Rescue beacons, delivering Rescue Climbers to a shelter, parking in the Rescue beacon repair zone or floor goal, and parking on the “mountain.”
Not only do these students apply their knowledge and abilities towards competitions, but they also work towards expanding the impact of a STEM education. For example, at Cypress Bay High School, the department head of the special-needs program reached out to the robotics class and asked if they could construct inventions that assist special-needs students with daily tasks, ranging from putting papers into a paper shredder to watering a garden. As a result, the class is currently creating an apparatus for wheelchair-bound students to be able to bowl as well as a blender that can be safely used by students with poor dexterity. In order to fully derive use out of STEM fields and STEM-oriented education, it is essential that everyone is included and accounted for. As Ms. Ashley states, “With each passing year this world gets more and more high-tech. It affects everyone in every aspect of life. Young or old, we are surrounded by technology.”

I hope you liked it! I think it came out quite well and suits my magazine nicely. I am really proud of my work.

Also, I would just like to make an update in terms of how I am producing my magazine. Rather than using InDesign to put the magazine together, I will be putting together my magazine using the website, Joomag. I was having trouble transferring the work I did in Illustrator to InDesign so I knew I need to use some other program to make my magazine. Therefore, I looked back at the projects completed from last year’s classes that my teacher recommended for us to reference, since they did a great job in accomplishing the project as a whole. One of the students (shout-out to Laurel) used a website called Joomag, and when I saw the presentation format of her final magazine, I was really impressed. I immediately made an account so I could see how it works. I noticed that Joomag works similarly to the Adobe programs as the tools are formatted and function almost in the same manner. Also, when I upload my work, everything looks great! Now, I am very excited to put my magazine together and make it come alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment