Thursday, March 31, 2016

EUREKA!!! I HAVE MY STORY!!


I FINALLY MADE A BREAKTHROUGH! So, for the longest time, I was having trouble coming up with a topic for my two-page spread. I searched and searched and searched through the Internet (mainly Google) for a source of inspiration. I looked up successful magazine articles, successful stories, top trending topics, most popular stories, and I even thought about going around and asking people what recent story they found most interesting. The issue is that I am not a journalist who can just go talk to the President to interview him on his visit to Cuba, or travel to Brussels to investigate the terrorist attack, or stop by a filming site for a TV show to find out about the new upcoming series. I have to be able to conduct my own research with my own sources and my own analysis. So, I cleared my mind and took a different approach to uncovering my article for the two-page spread. Then, it came to me. I would like to and plan to create an article on robotics! I know it my sound unusual, however, robotics is one of my passions and, because it is one of my interests, writing the content will come with ease (not completely, of course, but I will enjoy the journey). Also, despite what I mentioned in one of my blog post, Spreading the words (onto two pages)!, my topic will not follow under the category of “New,” but under the category of “Science,” since the article has to with robotics.

Robotics has created a growing community throughout the world, and more schools are integrating classes that incorporate this STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) field. With the advancement of technology nowadays and the Hollywood exposure, robotics is taking the world by storm. The inclination of the necessity, prominence, and value of robotics is rising as programmers and engineers are vital in this digital age. So, basically, in my article for my two-page spread, I plan to talk about how robotics is portrayed in the media, the reality of robotics in a daily life, and the escalation of robotics as a STEM subject within the education system. Based on my experiences from being part of a robotics team and class, I felt that I could formulate a wholehearted story that expresses the idea of robotics well. As sources of my own conducted research, I thought that I could interview people, such as my robotics teacher, to share her story on how she became engaged with robotics, and a student from my robotics class, to portray his or her perspective on the significance of robotics in his or her life. Even more so, I am fortunate enough to know an engineer from a company called Modern Robotics and plan on interviewing him on what he does, why does it, and how his company is progressing the field of robotics. Not only that, but I could also discuss the popularity within the FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) community and how the organization launches competitions that unlock great minds by sparking inspiration and encouraging teamwork.

Clearly, I have tons of material I can use and incorporate within my writing, especially since it is a topic that I can relate to on a personal level. I have not really thought about how the layout would look like, in terms of pictures and text placements; however, I imagine that I will include photographs of different robots as well as, perhaps, the control modules that the company, Modern Robotics, creates. I am so glad that I was finally able to come up with a story for my two-page spread and I am just hoping that it will all come together nicely!

No comments:

Post a Comment