Saturday, March 26, 2016

Ads! Read All About It!

ATTENTION! THIS IS ANOTHER UPDATE ALERT! Edward Scissorhands cut his way through my art class so I could continue working on his outfit. This is how he is looking thus far:


He looks so amazing! I think it will take me two more art classes to finish the drawing for my cover. I am excited to see how it will all come together!

Anyways, I have been planning out the rest of my magazine and I have continued to consider what type of advertisement I will feature in my magazine and how it should be presented. The first place I went to search for examples of ads was Pinterest, because Pinterest is pretty great app that share tons of pretty great ideas. So, I searched up ads and that led me to two awesome articles that I loved and found very helpful. In the article, “71 Brilliant, Clever and Inspirational Ads That Will Change The Way You Think,” the author lists, describes, and provides examples of 71 brilliant advertisements that utilize a variety of creative tactics to deliver their messages, but with all having stellar storytelling skills as a common quality. In the article, “50 Genius Print Ads With Brilliant Design Techniques,” the author similarly lists, describes, and provides examples of 50 print ads that are creatively brilliant in terms of their design layout. As a result, I noticed that I tended to gravitate heavily towards minimalistic advertisements because I think they are visually engaging and extremely clever. Here are some examples of minimalistic advertisements that I really like:








After thinking about it for a while, I realized I would have to be careful not to overdo it with the minimalism, because it would ruin the effectiveness of the ad overall and make it difficult for the reader to actually understand what the product is. In the magazines that I have looked through, I realized that most of the advertisements were minimalistic in some respect, but not overly so, which confirmed my thoughts. Also, I realized that the product being sold was almost always the main focus of the advertisement, with text generally being smaller and off towards the edge of the page, as shown below:


 Additionally, all of the advertisements feature bright, lively colors such as green, blue, red, and yellow that help draw the eye towards the ad and make it more lively. In Compass magazine, I want to make sure the advertisements are bright and vibrant, but also well-balanced and not too in-your-face. I found it surprisingly difficult to design a clever, engaging advertisement for a product that would appeal to the entirety of my target audience. Originally, I planned to do a food advertisement because who doesn’t love to eat? Then, I considered a technology-oriented product to appeal to the younger audience that were practically on their phones and laptops  in the womb. As much as I would like to present my advertisement, I feel that I should spend a little more time sketching and planning to ensure that it fits my magazine and target audience. Furthermore, I need to decide if I will utilize vector art, photography, or another medium to create the ad. Luckily, I have experience with photoshop and other graphic design programs that will aid greatly in creating the perfect ad for my magazine.



Work Cited

Gross, Rebecca. "50 Genius Print Ads With Brilliant Design Techniques." Design School. 09 Sept. 2015. Web. 26 Mar. 2016. <https://designschool.canva.com/blog/print-advertising-ideas/>

Mitchell, Matt. Matt Mitchell Creative. Web. 26 Mar. 2016. <http://mattmitchellcreative.com/_/img/magazine-ads2.jpg>
Biehle, Melanie. "71 Brilliant, Clever and Inspirational Ads That Will Change The Way You Think." Design School. 19 Mar. 2015. Web. 26 Mar. 2016. <https://designschool.canva.com/blog/clever-advertising/>



 

3 comments:

  1. Wow! First of all, your drawing of Johnny Depp is absolutely fantastic. You have a true talent for art and I hope you continue with it throughout your life. In terms of your magazine, I love the name and idea of the “Compass of Contents”. I believe the combination of the play on words and your logo will be extremely attractive to your target audience. I also really like the font you created for the cover, I think it is sleek and professional, going along with the overall theme of your magazine. The light blue catches the eye and is unique and refreshing, while complimenting your artwork nicely.

    Your blog posts are also extremely detailed and incorporate tons of research. It is wonderful to see your thought process and go through the journey that you have detailed. The only suggestion I have is to make sure the ad is not too minimalistic, as you were saying in one of your posts. I would recommend taking a step back and looking at your magazine as a whole to help in brainstorming what your ad should be. I think having this broad overview of your entire work will help tremendously in envisioning the perfect ad. I look forward to seeing the final product!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your magazine so far! I always see magazines aimed towards the same age group you are going for, but none of them go for the same artistic feel that your magazine you will have. I like how you improvised and decided to draw out the pictures of Johnny Depp (which by the way are spot on). The only thing you seem to be missing is the main topic of the two page spread. I don't know what your ideas are, but if you end up doing it on Johnny Depp, I'm pretty sure you could find many sources on how he is able to portray such exciting and different characters and be able to do sort of an in-depth analysis of him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me start by saying you're an amazing artist! The drawing of Johnny Depp looks so life like and well detailed. Back to the content of the magazine, I thought the presentation of the information using a compass, as well as having the additional articles to read revolve around the compass was a very clever idea. However, because the examples of magazines included contain more global content and the attitude of the article is more professional, I think it would be convenient to establish the tone of the magazine early on. Also, based on the ads that you were planning to, they seem more playful and friendly but also very artistic. So, concluding from this, I love the idea that you're drawing your cover image but I think you should be very careful with the subheadings you put on your front page as they may change the whole mood of the magazine. Anyways, I absolutely love the cleverness in your magazine and I wish to see the final product. Goodluck!

    ReplyDelete