Friday, March 25, 2016

The Layouts They Are a-Changin’


As mentioned in my last blog post, I had some doubts about my Compass of Contents layout because I felt that it looked a little weird when I put it together on Adobe Illustrator and the placements of where I could put advertisements seemed odd to me. So, as I result, I had to do an investigation by visiting Publix, a grocery store, and taking advantage of the array of magazines available as I analyze magazines that have similar target audiences and styles to my own magazine, Compass. The magazines I analyzed included Ok!, In Touch, and People (among others, but which can be seen from the list, but they all started showing a similar pattern and I only have pictures of the magazines I just named and their table of contents). Enjoy the following photo album of my adventure:












 






Also, these are some notes I jotted down while I was looking through all of the magazines, specifically their table of contents and advertisements:  


I apologize for the messy handwriting, but do not worry, I will explain my quick and jumbled thoughts.

The first topic that I analyzed are the advertisements. Originally, when I was planning to include advertisements, I thought that I would end up including advertisements that would be about phones, pets, or cars due to my target audience typically buying, wanting, and interacting with such commodities on a daily basis. However, after analyzing several magazines, these goods did not appear as often as expected which really surprised me. As a whole, I noticed that most of the advertisements displayed items meant to make the consumer feel younger or more energized, as well as food of all sorts, and clothing showing off the latest fashions. In terms of aesthetics, most advertisements were very large, often taking up an entire page, as they tended to utilize minimalism and simplicity to present their product. If the ad included a person, he or she was typically looking directly into the camera in order to make eye contact and, thus, a connection with the reader. Another tactic used by the advertisements was humor, typically in the form of some sort of relatable event or experience, which provided a positive connotation for the product.

The other topic I analyzed was the styles of the table of contents. What I noticed is that when the table of contents was only one page, it would typically be seen on the right-hand page of the two-page spread, while an ad was seen taking up the left-hand page of the two-page spread. If the table of contents took up two pages, they were never adjacent to each other. It almost always appeared with the first half of the table of contents on the right-hand side and an ad on the left. Then, when the page is turned, the second half of the table of contents is on the left-hand side and another advertisement is on the right. As far as content goes, it was often split in two ways: either cover stories and then the rest of the articles, or features and then categories that are the same in each issue of the magazine. Moreover, the table of contents included a lot of pictures that were associated with articles in the magazine, which helped keep the table of contents engaging and interesting to look at.

After this experience, I went home and redesigned my Compass of Contents. I basically followed the notes I took down as I reflected upon my Publix adventure. So, without further ado, I give you the new Compass of Contents layout:



Yay! I really love the new look, and feel as though it is more suitable for a magazine. I figured I needed to just let loose and have fun with it. I changed the Compass of Contents from two pages to one, in which it will appear on the right-hand page of the two-page spread and I will create an advertisement that will appear on the left-hand page of the two-page spread. Each color represents a distinct feature: the green boxes represent the placement of pictures, the black boxes represent the placement of text, and the pink boxes represent the placement of a number. Clearly, this is divergent from my last table of contents. I added more objects to the page and made them smaller, which helps make the page more engaging and visually stimulating to the reader. I even added a new feature that I thought would be a cool and perfect inclusion: social media. Below the “Science” label, I included placements of where I could insert links to my magazine’s Twitter, Facebook, and website, where they can find additional information.

App Icon for Compass website


As I move forward, I think I should do more research on both how I should create a clever and successful ad as well as successful and interesting articles that appeal to my target audience. I certainly have my work cut out for me, but I am really liking the process and think that my magazine is going to be amazing!



Work Cited

“Cover, Table of Contents” Ok! Magazine 28 March 2016: Cover, 4. Print.

“Cover, Table of Contents” In Touch Magazine 28 March 2016: Cover, 1. Print.

“Cover, Table of Contents” People Magazine 28 March 2016: Cover, 5, 6. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment